October is Black History Month in the UK. This is a non-marketing post, I have chosen 21 Inspirational and motivational quotes from Martin Luther King to celebrate Black History Month 2017.
I was 5 months old when Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a bus in Montgomery, Alabama. She was arrested and jailed which led to a very young Martin Luther King’s intervention.
At the time of Rosa Park’s protest Martin Luther King was a young Pastor (25). He was one of the leaders of the Civil Rights Movement who decided to boycott the Buses because of Rosa Parks arrest.
The boycott which lasted 381 days catapulted his career and he became known internationally for his leadership of the Civil Rights Movement in America. Martin Luther King advocated peaceful protest, preferring love to hate.
“We must learn to meet hate with love” no doubt due to being a pastor he approached every experience with love and compassion.
Throughout his leadership Martin Luther King was both Inspirational and motivational. He delivered his often quoted “I Have a Dream” speech to almost 250,000 crowd who were marching for Freedom and Jobs.
He was dead 5 years later assassinated at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tennessee, on April 4, 1968. I was almost 13 years old when he was killed and only just becoming aware of the Civil Rights Movement.
During Martin Luther King’s funeral, a taped recording of Martin Luther King speaking was played in which he spoke of how he wanted to be remembered after his death:
‘‘I’d like somebody to mention that day that Martin Luther King Jr. tried to give his life serving others’’
40 years later in November 2008 Barack Obama became the First Black American President. Due in huge part to the work and sacrifice of Martin Luther King
The wise words of Martin Luther King are very relevant to the current situation we are seeing today in the rise of the far right in America, the UK and Europe. Every one of these 21 quotes can be applied to the challenges around equality and diversity today.
- I have a Dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.I have a Dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be… Click To Tweet
- Love is the only force capable of turning an enemy into a friend.
- Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. .
- Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’
- A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus.
- Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.
- We must accept finite disappointment but never lose infinite hope.
- Injustice anywhere, is a threat to justice everywhere.
- The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.
- At the center of non-violence stands the principle of love.
- We may all have come on different ships, but we are in the same boat now.
- I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter.
- That old law about an ‘An eye for an eye’ leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.
- Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will.Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding… Click To Tweet
- The time is always right to do what is right.
- Wars are poor chisels, for carving out peaceful tomorrows.
- it may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me. And I think that’s pretty important.
- We must build dikes of courage to hold back the flood of fear.
- A right delayed, is a right denied.
- Almost always. The creative dedicated minority has made the world better.
Share your favourite quote in my Facebook Group Buzz Networking.